Pages

Wednesday 5 September 2012

The Write Advice 019: NELSON ALGREN


I do have the feeling that other writers can't help you with writing.  I've gone to writers' conferences and writers' sessions and writers' clinics, and the more I see of them, the more I'm sure it's the wrong direction.  It isn't the place where you learn to write.  I've always felt strongly that a writer shouldn't be engaged with other writers, or with people who make books, or even with people who read them.  I think the farther away you get from the literary traffic, the closer you are to sources.  I mean, a writer doesn't really live, he observes.

The Art of Fiction #11  [The Paris Review #11, Winter 1955]

 


Use the link below to read an excerpt from the 1955 NELSON ALGREN interview:

 

http://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/4987/the-art-of-fiction-no-11-nelson-algren


 

You might also enjoy:

 
The Write Advice 012: SIMONE DE BEAUVOIR

 
The Write Advice 004: KURT VONNEGUT

 
The Write Advice 017: IRWIN SHAW

 

No comments:

Post a Comment